How does Kumashiro define ‘common sense’?
– limits what is considered to be consistent with the purposes of schooling.
– doesn’t often tell us that schools are already contributing to oppression
– doesn’t tell us that schools need to place a priority on challenging oppression
– is really an insistence that we view things as some in society have traditionally viewed things and want to continue viewing things.
– taken for granted/norms, and continually viewing what is going on around you.
Why is it so important to pay attention to the ‘common sense’?
– is not what should shape educational reform or curriculum design, it is what needs to be examined and challenged
– pay attention/understand it’s different for everyone
– to be aware of individuality and other’s opinions